Sg2.9
Line segement to path
Recent RSS
Line segement to path
Date:  21. August 2005, 08:52

I'm using processing as a primary development tool, and am generating .ps and .ai files.

I was wondering about the feasibility of combining all the segments in an object to paths, as segmented lines don't join up very nicely.

The alternative is to pass continuous drawing information in a different way. I'm using line at the moment which is clearly not the best.

Does anyone know a way of recording the mouse activity in a better way, i.e bezier.

Many thanks.

Re: Line segement to path
Date:  23. August 2005, 00:00

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using p68 and beta p91. I've just been updating Alan Martin's AIExport code for beta and have all but BezierVertex running at the moment, so I'm kind of combining alpha and beta at the moment, as some stuff won't run in beta due to some issues with PGraphic objects.

My original question is partially solved by an error in my own code (arrggghh!), but I still would like to know what the most effective way of recording the mouse's path in processing (continuous not segmented) and dumping it via AIExport. I have the .ai file specs but haven't looked at them yet. My original problem is related in that I wanted to know if I could take all those line segments and join them altogether as one long path, i.e mousePressed = start path, and Released = end.

Most of my drawing software extends the ground concept (canvas in App language). I haven't looked at scriptographer in any detail as yet, but it looks really promising. I'm hoping that scriptographer will allow me to do some of the things, I'm doing in processing locally in illustrator.

I hope this makes some sense,

Mark.

Date:  23. August 2005, 12:35

Thanks Simon,

Yeah, I guess I'll stick with dumping x and y array. It makes for monster file sizes in a relatively short drawing time, but is manageable.

The other problem with attempting to go Bezier, is the approximate nature of the algorithm. I want to retain as much of the drawing's original quirkiness as possible, which a bezier is not intended for.

What I think I'm trying to over come, is the line segmentation that is an inevitable by-product of using a line draw function. The line-capping's ellipse (rounded end) becomes visible when using transparency, yet drawing in illustrator itself, and then switching on tranparency for the path eliminates it? I wonder what it's doing? Outline and fill, do you think?

Mark.

Date:  24. August 2005, 12:42

Hi Simon,

Thanks a lot, yeah it's beginning to make sense now. I'll try your suggestions. Now that I'm getting up to speed with postscript I can see how it would work.

I'll keep you posted.

Scripts
08.08.14, 15:24
15.05.14, 14:23
02.03.14, 19:16
18.11.13, 14:48
22.03.13, 03:05
22.02.13, 15:45
19.02.16, 06:03
19.02.16, 06:00
17.01.16, 11:00
12.01.16, 13:10